Dr. Lea Houtsonen
Counsellor of Education, Docent
Finnish National Board of Education
Upper Secondary School Unit
PO Box 380 (Kumpulantie 3)
Tel: +358 9 7747 7280
Fax: +358 9 7747 7335
National ENSI work
The strength of the Finnish ENSI project lies in the cooperation achieved between teachers, researchers studying environmental education and administrators. Another feature that has enriched the project is that it has attracted schools from different levels in the general educational system, and has even included some teachers working in vocational schools. In between the official meetings, the teachers, research staff and administrator have worked together in a collaborative learning environment by means of the Knowledge Forum software.
One characteristic feature of the Finnish ENSI project has been its investigatory approach, adopted not only by the researchers but also by the teachers and students involved, who have gathered environmental information and made active attempts to influence the development of their own environment. Some of the participating teachers have been doing doctoral research in this connection.
The Finnish ENSI project has placed great weight from the outset on new ideas, which are an essential part of all teaching aimed at promoting sustainable development. These have included:
- allowing teachers to invstigate and develop their own work, with the accent on the importance of action research
- laying emphasis on the importance of cooperation between schools and the surrounding society and its economy
- the developing in pupils and teachers of skills that are becoming increasingly necessary in society, such as attempts at developing initiative and creativity and understanding broader connections.
The Finnish ENSI Project has prepared a book “Developing Sustainable Education in Schools”, which was published (in Finnish) by the Finnish National Board of Education.
- The Sustainable Development Strategy and Implementation Plan The Sustainable Development Strategy and Implementation Plan for Education and Training 2006-2014 is a joint plan amongst various participants,...striving to reinforce the importance of sustainable development in education and training, and to provide additional support to teachers, trainers and educators. -sustain_strategy.pdf
- Education for Global Responsibility Finnish Perspectives -www.minedu.fi/OPM/Julkaisut/2007/Education_for_Global_Responsibility
- Environmental Certification of Educational Establishments School and the Environment -www.koulujaymparisto.fi/index-en.htm