Drs. Machtelijn Brummel
Program Learning for Sustainable development
3503 RE Utrecht
Tel: 0031 886027898
National ENSI work
The Netherlands is a member of ENSI. Education for Sustainable Development is placed highly on the agenda in The Netherlands, for over a decade. The Dutch govenmental program Learning for Sustainable Development (LfSD) is the central point in The Netherlands for the coordinating of work on ESD.
- Learning for Sustainable Development 2008-2011 The Dutch Program “Learning for Sustainable Development” enhances learning processes on sustainablility in many issues, and helps students, professionals, organisations and individuals to identify and make sustainable choices. Participants in decision-making processes work together to resolve problems, carefully balancing the interests of people, nature and the environment, and the economy, in perspective of global responsability, future orientation and sharing of values. -www.lerenvoorduurzameontwikkeling.nl
Practising sustainability is a skill that can be learned!
In the Netherlands students, professionals, companies, organisations and individuals are working on the issue, in there own work and in networks. Learning by doing is the motto in all these activities.
Education is in motion. Elements of change include the promotion of competencies, the New Learning and systems thinking. As the knowledge-intensive society that we pursue needs to be rooted in education, the teacher holds the key role in this development.
In the Netherlands all kind of activities are carried out and policy is being made on the issue of ESD. For formal education for students between 4 and 18 a Core Curriculum Learning for Sustainable Development was made in 2008.
Networks on ESD
Several networks for sustainable development are in place in The Netherlands, for learners in all agegroups.
Early childcare and nature education
The Dutch programm on early childcare (0-4) an de nature education is member of the international Nature Action Collaborative for Children. The aim of this network is to bring more nature and ESD into the kindergartens. (in Dutch)
- Teacher Training Duurzame Pabo, the network for sustainability in Teacher’s Colleges was established in 2005. The educational sector, responsible for quality education, is now also being called to attend to social responsibility. We, after all, anticipate that the young adults in training – students and schoolboys and girls – will make the world of tomorrow a better place. The network enhances meetings, integration in curricula publications and other network activities. (in Dutch) -www.duurzamePabo.nl
- TVET DMBO, the network for Sustainability in Vocational education was founded in 2005 and works together with 19 TVET schools. There focus is on National meetings, newsletters and a website, facilitation of implementing sustainability in the school curricula. (in Dutch) -www.duurzaamMBO.nl
- Higher Education All kind of activities and cooperation are carried out, in the Universities, post graduate programms (MBA’s) and within the The Netherlands Association of Universities of Applied Sciences. The Auditing Instrument for Sustainability in higher Education (AISHE) is a widely used tool to involve HE-organisations in sustainable development. -www.hobeon.nl/thema_s/mvo/keurmerk_duurzaam_hoger_onderwijs
- Higher Education: Morgen Dutch students have their own network for sustainable development, named Morgen (Dutch for tomorrow). Morgen aims to stimulate universities to implement sustainability in all forms (courses, policy, and technology) and to stimulate students to sustainable ‘behavior’ in their lives. For example by hosting an internet-site on available courses in sustainability. () -www.studentenvoormorgen.nl